Vivek Muthuramalingam is an independent photographer, visual journalist and writer based out of Bangalore, India.
In his documentary photography Vivek seeks for ideas that can serve humanitarian purposes. He strives to dedicate his abilities for projects that can illustrate and inform socially relevant, ecologically urgent and culturally important themes that can perhaps help serve a greater cause of change and sustenance. He is partial to ideas that coax a narrative and inform a deeper connection with the subject. He attempts to bring a similar approach to his editorial assignments where understanding the issue and subject is core for a creative endeavour.
He studied fine-art at the Ken School of Art, Bangalore and completed his studies in medicine at Kolar, Karnataka. He worked briefly as a junior surgical resident in the Department of Urology at the Manipal Hospital in Bangalore before he turned to photography.
Vivek’s photographs have appeared in print in the pages of Gulf News (Friday supplement), The Wall Street Journal, The Sunday Guardian, Motherland Magazine, TimeOut Explorer, Outlook, Perfect Places, Down to Earth, Tehelka, Domus India, OPEN, National Geographic Traveller India and The Indian Express. He has also contributed to publications and printed reports for The WHO and Greenpeace. He worked as a staff photographer with the TimeOut Bangalore magazine from 2009 to 2011.
Workshops • Collaborations • Residencies
- Emerging Photographers Workshop, Angkor, Cambodia (Mentors: Antoine D’Agata/ Renée Byer), 2007
- Urban Changes, Goethe Institute, Mumbai (Andrea Kuenzig), 2007
- Art, Space and the City, Goethe Institute, Bangalore, 2008
- Foundry Photojournalism Workshop, Manali (Ami Vitale), 2009
- Another World, Goethe Institute, Bangalore (Heidi Specker) January 2011
- GOA Centre of Alternative Photography, March-April 2013 Residency
- Undivided Mind, KHOJ Delhi, Mar-Apr 2016
Exhibitions • Festivals
- Venice International Photo Festival, Nov 2007 (Winners’ showcase)
- Angkor Photo Festival, Cambodia, Nov 2007 (Slideshow)
- Urban Spaces, Mumbai, 2008 (Gallery Cymroza)
- Art, Space and the City, Bangalore, 2008 (Max Mueller Bhavan)
- Contemporary India, Ohio, USA, Oct-Nov 2009 (Bowling Green State University)
- Asian Street Photographers Showcase, Cambodia, Oct 2011
- 6°, Unbox Festival, New Delhi, Feb 2012
- Format Festival, Derby UK, Mar 2013